September 28 is an Action Day! This day is an excellent opportunity for mobilising communities and staging rallies so that from different places in the globe our one demand will be clearly heard – access to safe, legal and accessible abortion! #StepIntoOurShoes and fight #AbortionStigma and Discrimination!
Download the Call for Action!
English: C4A ENG (184)“]
Spanish: C4A SPA (435)
French: C4A FRE (435)
TAKE ACTION! This year we are using shoes in September 28 signature actions, as a symbol of agency and diversity. We want to create as much buzz as possible and increase visibility, both online and offline, through stories, user generated content, media, events, and social media. There are several ways you can contribute:
- Abortion Stories as Common and Diverse as Shoes – Be part of the PHOTO-SHOE! Join the campaign and invite others to symbolically “step into our shoes,” by sending a photo of your shoes together with your story of why you chose to have an abortion, or why you support access to safe abortion services. You can send your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or via social media using the hashtag #StepIntoOurShoes. *Feel free to choose any shoes, boots, sandals, or footwear that you wish – you can even go barefoot!
- Mobilize for a local SHOE-A-THON: Organize your local community network of reproductive justice activists for an artistic installation! Bring as many shoes as you can to a strategic location (public park, plaza, garden, etc). Try to create the longest line possible with the shoes, as a symbol of the number of people in your community who support access to safe abortion services. Or you can hang the shoes as a display, with abortion stories or testimonials placed inside them, for passersby to read. Alternatively, arrange your shoes into a visual display of the words “Sept 28”!
- We will be creating a global virtual map of actions where you can pin your shoe-related September 28 activities, to get attention from communities, governments, and media. Whatever you decide to do, pin your activity in our map!
- Host an awareness raising activity, event, or workshop to share stories and/or discuss how abortion stigma and related stereotypes restrict access to safe and legal abortion in your community. Let’s facilitate conversations to help point out and address commonalities and systemic issues surrounding safe and legal abortion, while also normalizing the experience.
- Post, share, tweet, and snap! Share #StepIntoOurShoes campaign materials, including a series which features excerpts from diverse stories of individuals who have had an abortion. Share the materials widely on social media and make empathy go viral!
- Check out our September 28 Campaign Toolkit for more details and suggested actions!
If you plan to organise your own action event, please inform us!
We will be happy to provide you with any support you might need for this day and with your permission we will publish your activity on the ACTIONS page of the website.