National Network of Abortion Funds
Dates: September 2013
Throughout September we will be posting stories and actions from our network of abortion funds and allies, sharing ways for you to get involved, to help spark conversations, and to amplify the voices of the people most affected by bans on abortion funding and other abortion restrictions.
We’re kicking off Abortion Access Month today with some real talk from NNAF board members Eesha Pandit and Verónica Bayetti Flores: “Mind the Gap: September is Abortion Access Month.”
The last weekend of September will culminate with the Global Day of Action for Access to Safe and Legal Abortion on September 28th and, on September 30th, reflections on the anniversary of the Hyde Amendment which as of 37 years this month has banned all coverage of abortion in the federal Medicaid program. And in between we will keep you posted on stories, actions, and events in your area.
It is time to have a sustained conversation about what happens when abortion is out of reach.
Be part of the conversation. Help elevate the dialogue. Help shift the focus. And: mind the gap.
Get started here:
- Join our email list for updates this month.
- Sign and share the petition to repeal the Hyde Amendment.
- Use the hashtag #Access13 on Twitter and Facebook. Tweet us @AbortionFunds.
- Find your local abortion fund.
- Click here to download and share Abortion Access Month logos, badges, and graphics
Scheduled events and significant dates:
- Wednesday, September 18: “If You Care About Criminal Justice, You Should Care About Reproductive Justice.” Webinar hosted by National Women’s Law Center. 6-7 pm EST. Must register in advance.
- Saturday, September 21: Screening of the film After Tiller in NYC, followed by a Q&A moderated by members of the New York Abortion Access Fund (NYAAF) with the filmmakers, Martha Shane and Lana Wilson. A portion of ticket purchase to benefit NYAAF. (Must be purchased in advance.) Click for details.
- Wednesday, September 25: 10th Annual Lilith Fund Reproductive Equity Awards, 6-9 pm, Austin, TX
- Saturday, September 28: Global Day of Action for Access to Safe and Legal Abortion
- Saturday, September 28: Tweetchat with Ipas, 12-1 EST #Sept28
- Saturday, September 28: Dance Party for Abortion Access! 10 pm – 3 am NYC. $15, benefits the New York Abortion Access Fund
- Monday, September 30: The Hyde Amendment passed on this day in 1976, 37 years ago.