Asia Pacific Alliance for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (APA) is launching a video campaign with Members as part of the September 28 International Safe Abortion Day campaign. Deadline to participate is Monday, 25 September 2023.
The campaign aims to highlight our unstoppable movement to ensure reproductive justice for women, girls, and gender-diverse people has been driven by persistence and determination, despite the increasingly difficult environment for SRHR and bodily autonomy and shrinking CSO space in our region. Over the last 3 years, as a result of our collective actions, we have celebrated progress and victories for bodily autonomy, gender equality, and reproductive rights: for example, Thailand, South Korea, India, Nepal, and Australia recently observed decriminalization and/or expansion of access to abortion. By shining light on such policy and legal victories, we can further mobilize to remove decriminalization and removal of policy barriers that limit access to safe abortion.
How to Participate:
Take a selfie video! We are inviting members to take a very short video of themselves or a colleague (1 minute or less) and answer any of the below prompt questions:
- Harness the power of a story of success – What policy and legal milestones have been achieved in your country recently and region in the fight to make safe and legal abortions accessible? What positive impact/s has it brought?
- Harness the power of a story of resistance – How is your community pushing back against opposition to bodily autonomy?
- Harness the power of a story for solidarity – How can we continue to work together, intersectionally and across communities to advance access to safe abortion and achieve bodily autonomy? What collective actions can we take to further our efforts to decriminalize and remove policy barriers to safe abortion in our region?
Please take a video of yourself, or your colleague talking about one of the prompt questions. Please send the videos to Geemin at email@example.com by Monday September 25.
Guidelines for shooting the video, using your phone:
- Video shape: shoot a horizontal mode
- Sound: quiet surrounding, connect to a mic (if available)
- Lighting: avoid dark and overly bright lighting
- Background: clean, tidy (can also be your office)
- Language: English
- Length: no more than 1 minute
- Number of people in a footage: one representative or the whole team
- What to wear?: preferably plain shirt with no pattern
APA will develop a short video montage and it will be posted across our social media platforms as part of the Safe Abortion Day Campaign on 28 September. All members are welcome and encouraged to share our content and amplify messaging, using the hashtags.
September 28 Hashtags: #APA4Sept28 #Sept28 #Unstoppable Movement #AbortionSolidarity